With increased competition in the world, the number of job opportunities has also grown tremendously. A person can look out for several job options available. If you are among those people who want to live a life less ordinary then becoming a probation officer can be a good option. It is true that most of the people aim for becoming an engineer or doctor. Though these professions are safe ones but are definitely not for the ones who want to do something more than just earn. With a respectable designation and a descent payout becoming a probation officer fulfills the criteria of a good job. If you want help on “how to become a probation officer?” then you are at the right place. But before climbing the stairs to become a probation officer, it is important to understand its basics.
Who is a probation officer?
Probation officers are a part of criminal justice system which supervises the prisoners released from the prison. They are also known as parole officers. In other words, it could be said that a probation officer is a person who is appointed for investigation of the prisoners on probation and see to their conduct and make reports.
What is the meaning of probation?
Here, people on probation are referred to those criminals who are not sent to jail. Rather, they help the probation officer to prevent new crimes. For this, a probation officer needs to meet these people regularly and perform a lot more duties.
What are the duties of a probation officer?
How to become a probation officer is one thing but to become a good one, it is equally important that you know the duties performed by them. After all, you will also be fulfilling these duties some years down the line.
- Conduct meetings- a parole officer has to hold a meeting with the offenders on a regular basis. Their meeting can be monthly of weekly. It is the court that designates the period o their meeting.
- Investigation- to investigate the background and history of the criminals is another duty of a probation officer.
- Collaborating- an officer has to maintain relations with other people like NPO’s, etc. they need to collaborate in order have a full report of the offender.
- Law enforcement- this is one of the primary duties of a probationary officer. He has to see to all the legal requirements and their implementations.
What do you need to be a probation officer?
- Degree requirements- you must hold a bachelors degree in criminal justice or a social work related area.
- Experience- the aspirant must hold experience in work related to probation, social work or corrections.
- Training and key skills- to become an officer you must complete a state mandated training program and acquire skills like critical thinking, organizational skills. Sound judgment, etc.
- Age requirement- a person must attain the age of 21-37 years to be eligible for such occupation.
The above-given points will help you solve the problem on how to become a probation officer. This job is definitely best for mystery and adventure lovers. If you want to do something different, then this could be your thing.
Want to learn more about
How To Become A Probation Officer?
Subscribe to our mailing list and we'll notify once we add more information on How To Become A Probation Officer.